What visa do I need to study in France?

Do I Need a visa to study in France?

Depending on your native country, it may be necessary for you to obtain a visa if you wish to study and/or learn French while residing in France. Citizens of the European Union, Switzerland, or nationals of the European Economic Area can thus study in France without demanding a visa beforehand.

Nationals of other countries who do not have a French residence permit must therefore obtain a visa to stay in France and learn French, whether as a student or on a personal basis.

The type of visa varies depending on whether you are a student or not, and also depends on the length of your stay.

Long- Stay Visa (visa long séjour)

The long-stay visa as residence permit is the most suitable for students who wish to learn French: it can indeed be extended for those who wish to pursue higher education in France.

Valid for 4 to 12 months, this long-stay visa exempts its holder from the obligation to apply for a residence card and offers many advantages: the later can indeed travel throughout the Schengen zone, work part-time in France and  ask for housing benefits paid for by the CAF (caisse des allocations familiales) Holders of such a visa who wish to extend their stay in France beyond the validity of their permit must however apply for a residence card at the prefecture 2 months before visa expiration.

The long-stay visa as a residence permit is also intended for workers, trainees and visitors who, for a period of between 4 and 12 months, will have the opportunity to learn French in France.

Temporary long-stay visa

This temporary visa is also granted for a period ranging from four to twelve months but differs from the long-stay visa in several fundamental points : it cannot be extended in France and does not give its holder the possibility of working part-time or apply for financial aid from the CAF. It is therefore aimed at people who wish to take a few months or even a sabbatical year to learn French.

Working holiday visa or “young traveler”

The working holiday or “young traveler” visa addresses people aged 18 to 30, and concerns 16 countries. In order to obtain this visa, one should meet certain specific conditions, the reason for the trip being the tourist and cultural discovery of France – which includes of course learning French language. With a maximum duration of one year, this visa cannot be extended but will still allow you to exercise a salaried activity.

Similar articles

Ecriture de la sorbonne sur une facade

La Sorbonne University, an institution in the heart of Paris

Sorbonne University, located in the heart of Paris, is one of the most renowned higher education institutions in the world. Founded in 1257 by Robert de Sorbon, it takes its name from the college which served as a residence for students and professors. Over the centuries, the Sorbonne has become a symbol of academic excellence and intellectual culture, welcoming generations

Read more
Guy Maupassant

Guy de Maupassant: Portrait of a Master of literary realism

  Guy de Maupassant remains one of the most remarkable figures of 19th century French literature. His prolific work, marked by realism and psychological finesse, continues to influence generations of writers. In this text, we will delve into the life, work, and literary legacy of Maupassant.  The life of Maupassant Guy de Maupassant was born on August 5, 1850 in

Read more
Students FLE

Cinema, culture, cafes…what to do in Paris as a FLE student?

   “Civilization and culture” activities Paris is a city rich in history and culture, and its museums are among the most famous in the world. The Louvre, home to Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and many other iconic works, offers a fascinating dive into art history. The Musée d’Orsay, located in a former train station, showcases impressionist, post-impressionist and art

Read more


Le secrétariat sera exceptionnellement fermé le jeudi 6 juin.

The secretariat will be exceptionally closed on Thursday, June 6. 

Information sur la session de printemps 2024

L’inscription à la session de printemps (rentrée du 5 février 2024) est encore possible jusqu’au 2 février, sous réserve de places disponibles.

Les étudiants souhaitant s’inscrire sont invités à se rendre directement au bureau des admissions de l’institution, ouvert du lundi au vendredi de 9h30 à 16h30.
Ils doivent s’assurer de disposer d’un visa valide.

L’inscription en ligne pour cette session n’est plus possible sur ce site.

Information regarding the 2024 spring session

Registration for the spring session (starting on February 5, 2024) is still possible until February 2, subject to availability.

Students wishing to register are invited to go directly to the institution’s admission office, open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
They must ensure they have a valid visa.

Online registration for this session is no longer available on this website.

Dates des prochains examens TCF

Les prochaines sessions d’examen TCF auront lieu dans les locaux de l’institution aux dates suivantes :

Le 30 janvier et le 27 février :

+ épreuve orale
+ épreuve écrite

Le 31 janvier et le 28 février :