University Certificate - History (Sorbonne Paris Nord University)
Annual / Winter
The University Certificate in History offered by the Sorbonne French Civilization Courses (CCFS) provides international students with the opportunity to delve into France's rich cultural and historical past while refining their mastery of the French language.
This comprehensive program combines language and culture courses, applied linguistics courses, academic methodology courses, courses on Greco-Roman myths, arts, literature, as well as specialized courses in History. Language courses form the foundation of the program and enable students to improve their language skills while familiarizing themselves with French culture. These courses cover grammar, conjugation, vocabulary, and listening comprehension, providing a solid basis for university studies in French.
Applied linguistics is a key aspect of the program, aiming to enhance proficiency in the French language. Students benefit from immersion in courses specifically designed to improve their oral and written expression and comprehension, while exploring the subtleties of the French language.
Academic methodology is another crucial skill for students pursuing history studies: this course prepares students to conduct research, write academic essays, and present their work in a rigorous and structured manner.
The university certificate in history also includes courses on Greco-Roman myths, arts, literature, and French civilization lectures enrich the learning experience by providing an in-depth understanding of the cultural and historical context of France. These courses broaden students’ perspectives and are essential for a university path dedicated to history.
Specialized history courses cover various periods, from medieval history to contemporary history, including geography. Their aim is to enable students to develop expertise in specific areas of history, preparing them for further university studies.
This year-long program with small class sizes prepares students for the university certificate (equivalent to the first year of a Bachelor’s degree) which allows direct access to the second year of the Bachelor’s degree at Sorbonne University Paris Nord (Paris 13).
This annual program consists of 2 semesters, each lasting 12 weeks, with 20 hours per week, from October to May. All classes are held at the Sorbonne French Civilization Courses in the 7th arrondissement of Paris.
The university certificate in History is equivalent to the first year of a Bachelor’s degree. It totals 534 hours of classes and support + tutoring. It consists of:
– 144 hours of language and culture courses
– 96 hours of applied linguistics
– 60 hours of university methodology
– 48 hours of courses on Humanities (Greco-Roman myths, arts and literature)
– 96 hours of specialty teaching in History (Medieval History (24 hours), Modern History (24 hours), Contemporary History (24 hours), Geography: the French-speaking area (24 hours))
– 90 hours of French civilization lectures
Detailed information on French civilization conferences can be consulted here.
Exams are organized in January, at the end of the semester.
This program allows students to spend their first academic year in an exceptional setting: a small and international teaching team, cross-disciplinary teaching, and personalized support. The pedagogical strength of this program lies in its combination of French language, applied linguistics, civilization, and French methodology courses with specialized history instruction. Students benefit from personalized support which subsequently facilitates their integration into the French University system under the best conditions.
Validation of acquired knowledge
Continuous assessment in language classes (regular evaluation of work and progress) and a final examination validating the university certificate. A university certificate is issued at the end of the program upon successful completion.
The University Certificate in History is intended for international students who still need to improve their French and wish to integrate into the second year of the Bachelor’s degree in History at Sorbonne University Paris Nord.
A B2 level of French proficiency is required for enrollment in this program.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, hold a diploma or certificate of completion of secondary education, and comply with residency requirements (nationality, visa, residence permit, etc.).
Textbooks and/or authentic materials (audio, visual, and written) provided by the instructor.
Workbook and exercises created by the instructor.
This course also meets the criteria for obtaining a student visa for non-European Union students.
– Admission to the university certificate program is based on application (CV and letter of motivation)
– Enrollment in the course is confirmed only when payment is complete (at least one month before the start of classes) and after validation of the registration dossier.
– An enrollment certificate is issued after payment of a deposit and submission of administrative documents (copy of ID, translation of secondary school diploma, passport photo).
– Mandatory online placement test assigns a level to students before the start of classes. Additional testing may be required in specific cases.
– Registration is done online or directly at the admissions office of the institution by paying a 30% deposit of the course fee.
– Annual administrative fees of 75 euros are applied upon registration.
For more information on this program and registration procedures, students can contact the educational director directly via email: