Administrative formalities and residence permits

You must have a valid residence permit covering the full length of your course.

For European Union nationals, as well as students from Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, proof of identity is sufficient. For all other nationalities, a long-stay student visa is necessary for stays over three months.

To obtain a long-stay student visa, you must:

  • register (online or onsite)
  • submit the documents needed to confirm your registration (to be uploaded onto the student portal or emailed to
  • you will be sent a registration certificate supporting your visa application to the French consulate or embassy in your country

You can then enter France and join your chosen course.

To help you, the CCFS provides administrative assistance (prefecture, visa, etc.):

If you have any questions about residence permits and visas, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Find a course

Find the right course for you from our wide selection

or consult our annual calendar of courses
My cart Student area